by REERA YOO
Kim Hyun Joong’s case has recently been closed with all charges of assault and battery officially dropped, said a rep from the Seoul Songpa Police department.
Last month, the K-pop star’s ex-girlfriend “A” pressed criminal charges against Kim for repeated beatings between May and July this year, claiming that her injuries including a fractured rib required up to six weeks of treatment.
According to Star News, “A” filed a withdrawal of her lawsuit on Sept. 17, just a few days after Kim apologized to her in person and released a public apology on his official website. The official apology read:
“I am really sorry for inflicting serious mental and physical injuries on the person whom I’ve trusted and loved for two years. I am ashamed for behaving in a way man should not have behaved. As everything in this case was my fault, that person has no reason to be criticized. I apologize to her once again, and I want to express my apologies to her family and friends as well. Above all, I hope she will accept my apology and forgive me. Learning from this experience, I will work hard to become a bit more considerate person and to live a healthier life.”
Sun Jong Mun, “A’s” lawyer, told the Korean media that the plaintiff originally planned on dropping charges under no conditions if Kim publicly acknowledged the physical assaults and apologized for his actions. Sun added that “A” did not want Kim to be penalized after receiving a sincere apology from him and withdrew the case without accepting any settlement money, as previously agreed.
Regarding the withdrawal, there’s been mixed reactions from the public. While many fans are relieved that the case is finally closed, others seem upset that “A” has let Kim off the hook with a mere apology.
Photo courtesy of Soompi