Another year has gone by and it seemed like just yesterday when we here at KoreAm were scrambling just prior to the January 2012 issue’s deadline to include special coverage of Kim Jong-il’s death. While we offer a lot of news on North Korea, it seems like the reclusive country garners lukewarm interest among our readers.
Alas, stories about plastic surgery, Miss Korea, or Miss Korea getting plastic surgery were the hot topics.
However, we took comfort in the fact that a handful of serious stories made it into the Top 10, including Eugene Yi’s riveting oral history of the 1992 Los Angeles riots. So as we head into 2013 knowing that the world is not coming to an end, we will continue to mix business with pleasure, the serious and the silly. Here’s to another year in the books.
Happy New Year!
10. ‘Gangnam Style’ Flash Mob Hits Los Angeles (Aug. 20)
9. Male Plastic Surgery on the Rise in Korea (Oct. 9)
8. Korean American Sues Hooters Over Racist Incident (Sept. 11)
7. Psy Releases a Sequel to ‘Gangnam Style’ (Aug. 14)
6. April Issue: The LA Riots, In Our Own Words (April 17)
5. Miss Korea 2012 Crowned (July 6)
4. Korean Instant Ramen Recalled After Carcinogen Found (Oct. 25)